CIPD qualifications

Current HR student?
Looking to do an HR degree or CIPD course?
Talk to those who have gone before you!

What level CIPD qualification do you currently have?

None
25%
Level 3 (A-Level standard)
25%
Level 5 (degree standard)
25%
Level 7 (postgraduate standard)
25%

Total votes: 4

DrK
Founder

CIPD qualifications

Post by DrK » 20 Feb 2019, 20:13

For those of you who have already qualified, share your CIPD experience with those who haven't yet!

Did you obtain your CIPD qualifications prior to starting your HR career, whilst you were already working in HR, or both?
Did your company pay for the training, or did you self-fund?
How did you manage to combine work and study if doing them simultaneously?

Did you study a standalone CIPD qualification, or obtain it as part of some other qualification (eg degree, masters)?
Did you study online, in-person, or via blended-learning?

Would you recommend your approach to others?

Kitty
Community Member

Re: CIPD qualifications

Post by Kitty » 11 Mar 2019, 12:54

I am currently a student and I will obtain my Level 5 CIPD qualification at the end of my degree. I would recommend this route as it has been useful to complete CIPD modules through my modules carried out at university. I believe not many other universities offer this so it should make me stand out.
The only concern I have with doing it this way is as it's not directly carried out through CIPD so I worry if the quality and level of detail is as good.

DrK
Founder

Post by DrK » 12 Mar 2019, 21:37

Hi Kitty
In my experience, degree courses that incorporate some form of professional qualification are designed in close conjunction with the relevant professional body to ensure that they cover all the elements required for certification, and have to pass ongoing regular auditing by that body in order to remain accredited. That was certainly the case for my psychology masters, which also granted the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) of the British Psychological Society (BPS).

DrK
Founder

Post by DrK » 12 Mar 2019, 21:47

Also, having already obtained your CIPD on graduation gives you a significant advantage over other HR graduates. It's pretty much expected nowadays that you will be CIPD qualified for a career in HR, so if your degree didn't include it, you will then need to spend additional time and money getting a standalone CIPD qualification. If you're lucky your company might be prepared to fund it, but you'd need to be able to make a very good business case for that investment, as it will cost around £4,000. Consequently, a person who is already CIPD qualified is much more attractive to an employer.

Kitty
Community Member

Post by Kitty » 18 Mar 2019, 12:34

Thanks Dr K!

I completely agree with you, I am glad I gained my CIPD qualification whilst at uni.

Also I have looked into it and all my modules at uni have been approved by the CIPD so the content and materials should be just as relevant as doing it through the CIPD directly.